Search
Register
Favorite directors
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

futuristxen

Mr. Rook.
Sir.

Fight Club and Memento are not superior to Taxi Driver and Glengarry Glenross.

You gave fight club a 9.2 for climax. Compared to a 6.2 for Glengarry.
You deserve to, in the words of Garfield, be drug out in the street and shot.
I can't even fathom how...literally I have no words to explain my disgust and amazement that such a gross...I mean damn...I give you props for having seen Glengarry Glenross...but shit... man.

I bring this stuff up because I don't think you really have a leg to stand on in criticizing someone else's favorite directors.

I really don't understand why you randomly chose Slothrop's list to critique.
You've got some explaining to do.

Welcome to the forum, I guess.

As a comment on your reviewing style, you should focus a little less on the plot summarizing, and tell more your impressions, I think. If I've seen the film already, I don't need you to tell me what happened, if I haven't seen it I really don't want you to tell me what happened either. You need to speak in more generalities with regards to the plot, and in more specifics with regards to things like: how the actors did, how the film looks, and how the film made you feel.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:33 pm
rook.

futuristxen wrote:
Mr. Rook.
Sir.

Fight Club and Memento are not superior to Taxi Driver and Glengarry Glenross.

You gave fight club a 9.2 for climax. Compared to a 6.2 for Glengarry.
You deserve to, in the words of Garfield, be drug out in the street and shot.
I can't even fathom how...literally I have no words to explain my disgust and amazement that such a gross...I mean damn...I give you props for having seen Glengarry Glenross...but shit... man.

I bring this stuff up because I don't think you really have a leg to stand on in criticizing someone else's favorite directors.

I really don't understand why you randomly chose Slothrop's list to critique.
You've got some explaining to do.

Welcome to the forum, I guess.

As a comment on your reviewing style, you should focus a little less on the plot summarizing, and tell more your impressions, I think. If I've seen the film already, I don't need you to tell me what happened, if I haven't seen it I really don't want you to tell me what happened either. You need to speak in more generalities with regards to the plot, and in more specifics with regards to things like: how the actors did, how the film looks, and how the film made you feel.

Dear futuristxen,

I appreacite the input. maybe the first email was a bit harsh. maybe a bit to opinionative, but hey it's all in good nature in my terms. i admire people that can stand up and disagree which is a rarity in these days.

concerning my site. for some reason i feel the need to defend myself (regardless if it is or isnt necessary)
i have intentions on stating the plot and story to the readers. the opinion part does not come out until the actual rating. which is hard for one to accomplish.

glengarry, when i first experienced, hated the way it ended. just hated the abrupt ending. the way williamson fucked over the machine was superior but in my opinion: it was not as good as fight club.

but this is opinion so what can i say.

seeyou.
.rook.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:37 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
futuristxen

Rook. I think you need to get your opinion in the actual written part above the ratings. Otherwise it's just numbers. I really couldn't tell why you rated things the way you did, and even if you just offered a simple explanation next to each score in the numbering system that would help.

I mean obviously there's no accounting for taste, and there's plenty of great reviews that I completely disagree with, but if it's written properly I can see why they liked or didn't like and can then decide whether I will in turn like it or not.

I would reccomend watching Glengarry again. I watched it last night and was amazed at how much I picked up on the second viewing. I was really tapped into the rhythm of the dialouge(which is better than any explosion any special effects wizard could dream up).

I don't think the ending is really too abrupt either. For some reason it makes me think of how Kevin Spacey did the ending of Usual Suspects. I had the same feeling about the character. I think the ending for Glengarry is also scaringly real. When the Machine is blubbering trying to figure out why Williamson is going to do this to him, Williamson tells him it's because "I don't like you". It's so cold, but it's so perfect. That's how the real world is. Bad fuck people who don't like the cut of your gib cutting your balls off if you give them the chance.

Meanwhile compared to fight club which is almost an escapist fantasy where the ending is basically a joke...dude shoots a hole through the back of his head, cronies come in and are disgusted, ha ha, then the line "you met me at a very weird time in my life" as buildings blow up--haha, and then appropriatly a shot of Brad Pitt's penis...not the best of endings, and when compared to the end of the book, it sucks.

Also I would have rated the soundtrack higher. That Jazzy score was great, and the way it meshed wth the blues and reds and the rain--fuckin great stuff. But you didn't score Taxi driver very high in that department either, and it's a lot the same deal, so that's just a major taste diffrence I have with you.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:01 am
rook.

futuristxen wrote:
Rook. I think you need to get your opinion in the actual written part above the ratings. Otherwise it's just numbers. I really couldn't tell why you rated things the way you did, and even if you just offered a simple explanation next to each score in the numbering system that would help.

I mean obviously there's no accounting for taste, and there's plenty of great reviews that I completely disagree with, but if it's written properly I can see why they liked or didn't like and can then decide whether I will in turn like it or not.

I would reccomend watching Glengarry again. I watched it last night and was amazed at how much I picked up on the second viewing. I was really tapped into the rhythm of the dialouge(which is better than any explosion any special effects wizard could dream up).

I don't think the ending is really too abrupt either. For some reason it makes me think of how Kevin Spacey did the ending of Usual Suspects. I had the same feeling about the character. I think the ending for Glengarry is also scaringly real. When the Machine is blubbering trying to figure out why Williamson is going to do this to him, Williamson tells him it's because "I don't like you". It's so cold, but it's so perfect. That's how the real world is. Bad fuck people who don't like the cut of your gib cutting your balls off if you give them the chance.

Meanwhile compared to fight club which is almost an escapist fantasy where the ending is basically a joke...dude shoots a hole through the back of his head, cronies come in and are disgusted, ha ha, then the line "you met me at a very weird time in my life" as buildings blow up--haha, and then appropriatly a shot of Brad Pitt's penis...not the best of endings, and when compared to the end of the book, it sucks.

Also I would have rated the soundtrack higher. That Jazzy score was great, and the way it meshed wth the blues and reds and the rain--fuckin great stuff. But you didn't score Taxi driver very high in that department either, and it's a lot the same deal, so that's just a major taste diffrence I have with you.

I agree man. when watching glengarry the second and third and fourth. the movie is better and better. if you had known me personally. you would know that on many occasions have i agree to the dialogue of glengarry superior to many. with pulp fiction and strangers on a train to a close second. Mamet is a god. and i have been meaning to check out state and main

I feel although i agree with you on your perception of the ending of fight club. it does seem false. but that is not the scene in which i enjoy. it is the revelation. the discovery. whereas a deep and amazingly edited and scored scene transmits the date of 2 hours into 2 mins. maybe im just thinking like an amateur director.

i hope i didnt illustrate the wrong impression. im just a cat that digs film. i appreciate the opinion you present and the honesty. good stuff.

what are your thoughts on seven in contrast to fight club.

p
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:11 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
futuristxen

I like Seven more than Fight Club. I think Seven accomplishes as much or more than Fight Club stylistically for Fincher, but the movie itself isn't laboured by the preachiness. I like that Seven is more about events, and as a viewer I can make my own judgement on what I think about the events, where by comparison, Fight Club is very much trying to force feed me an ideology. I can enjoy fight club on the level of a dark comedy and think about it thematically as a kind of boy meets girl tale--but all the other garbage I can do without.

Seven is less pretensious to me and so it hits harder.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:03 am
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

Mojo the helper monkey wrote:
Oh fuck, are you serious!? I'm in the middle of Confederacy of Dunces right now and I am loving it. And David Gordon Green is going to direct!!!!?? Holy shit I'm going to pass out from overwhelming joy. If you got my hopes up and this doesn't happen I'm going to find out where you live and kick your dog.

its gonna be crazy when and if the cast/budget/shoot dates all click.

as of now i know that soderberg is exec. producing, he actually won the rights to shoot the movie in the last two years (this movie has been in litigation for the movie rights for many years). drew barrymore also has a producing hand in it and will probably play myrna minkoff. i know they'd like to get mos def for the main black dude and lily tomlin for the mom too

and of course we'll have philip seymore hoffman as ignatius. i dont know if anyone else would have made sense.
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:19 pm
Billy Gnosis

Steven Soderbergh is also responsible for coming up with the cash that got Robin Williams and Al Paccino to do Insomnia for Chris Nolan.
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:39 pm
Mojo the helper monkey

Insomnia is very underwhelming when compared to the nearly flawless Norwegian version.
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:24 pm
Soul Khansenses

Akira Kurosawa
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:33 pm
FuseONE

.  Reply with quote  

I never saw the big deal with Hard Eight, at all, I thought it was very mediocre. I do look forward to seeing punch drunk love though, I hear lots of good things about it.
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:37 pm
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

Re: .  Reply with quote  

FuseONE wrote:
I never saw the big deal with Hard Eight, at all, I thought it was very mediocre. I do look forward to seeing punch drunk love though, I hear lots of good things about it.

for me its the filmmaking, and every aspect of it. the movement of shots and constant probing is the way movies should be made. he has a serious vision. every film he has ever made is so intricate and extremely well thought out, as well as original and powerful. plus, he carries such a knowledge of film history, which really shines through on everything he touches.

i dont like to use the word but its genius, and most other directors, who have been called such, agree wholeheartedly.
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:00 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4